There are many possibilities to earn money during your studies. You can find job ads on the "Schwarz's Brett" (notice board) on campus or on your university's website. Knowing German can slightly increase your chances of finding a part-time job. Make sure to observe with the legal regulations specifying how much you're allowed to work.

An ideal way to improve your studies is to take a job at an institute, library or other facility at your university. Waiting on tables in cafes and pubs is a common student job. Other students guide visitors at trade fairs, work as delivery drivers or cycle couriers, or take on odd jobs cleaning, babysitting, working in copy shops, etc. Your chances at finding a job will increase automatically if you know how to speak German.

As you begin looking for a job, check out the "Schwarze Bretter" which are large notice boards with lots of information, centrally located at the university, libraries or supermarkets. There are job-finding services for students at many universities as well. For more instruction, contact your Studentenwerk or the Federal Employment Agency in your city.

How much you earn in a part-time job largely rely up on your preceding knowledge, the region and the branch, in which you'd like to work. In larger, more expensive cities like Munich, Hamburg or Cologne, you can earn more money, but you also have to pay extra for rent and food. While cashiers in the supermarket or at fast-food restaurants earn around six Euros per hour, you can make up to ten Euros per hour working in an office or as promoter. Whatever you decide to do, remember that it's almost impossible to earn your living with a part-time job during your studies!


There are legal regulations which specify how long international students like you are allowed to work. The rules vary depending on your country of origin.
If you are from one of the specified countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain or the United Kingdom

You are allowed to work as much as you wish without a work permit. However, like German students, the amount may not exceed 20 hours per week. Otherwise, you are required to pay into the German social security system.

If you are from a different country

Then you may work 120 full days or 240 half days per year. If you take a job as a student assistant or research assistant at the university, it's generally no problem to exceed the 120-day limit. However, you are obliged to inform the foreign Registration Office if you do.

The employment laws related to international students are very demanding. If you disobey them, you could be expelled from the country!


If you complete an internship during the semester break, it's considered "normal" work - even if it's unpaid. Every day of your internship is deducted from your 120-day credit balance. However, an internship is not concerned as regular employment if it is required by your degree programme (mandatory internship).

Study in Germany

Contact Details



Any Query? Talk to Us..!

Any Query